DEPARTMENT OF MATERIAL SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING
Erciyes University Materials Science and Engineering Department was established in 2005 under the roof of Engineering Faculty in order to develop up-to-date technologies in the field of material science and to transfer these theoretical knowledge to the industrial sector parallel to the developing industry in Kayseri and its vicinity. Teaching begins. The department of materials science and engineering is one of the newest departments of our engineering faculty and gave its first graduates in 2012-2013 school year. Although this discipline is well known abroad, especially in the United States of America, it has not yet completed its development in our country, both academically and industrially. Up-to-date developments, new brands and new technologies in this area will provide a wider employment opportunity. Material engineering has the most important fields of activity such as the production of material types ranging from classical metals such as iron, copper and aluminum, non-metallic plastics, ceramics, semiconductors and minerals to different kinds of materials by changing atomic and surface structures and developing new products and production methods. Is an interdisciplinary science. The material engineer is the person who knows very well the physical, chemical and mechanical behaviors of every kind of material and knows what kind of properties the material changes of atomic and even macro structure change.
In many engineering disciplines new designs depend on the development of completely new materials. Since the designs are often limited by the properties of the materials, the material is important for all engineering branches. In general terms, Materials Engineering uses known theoretical and practical knowledge of the material structure. Interdisciplinary engineering is involved in the transition from design to product development and production to transforming other engineering disciplines and the products that society needs. All stages from the production of composite materials, which are developed by using the advantageous properties of metals, metal alloys, ceramics materials, polymer materials and these materials, to their final use, determine the fields of work of Materials Science and Engineering. Materials Science and Engineering is the mechanical, chemical, thermal, electrical, etc. Properties.
- To produce information that will form the basis for shaping the present and the future at the national and international level,
- At the point of the creation of new technologies and materials, there is a strong infrastructure in the necessary theoretical knowledge, mathematics, physics, chemistry and basic engineering sciences, and sufficient practical experience in the point of design-
- To be able to define structure, property, performance relations correctly in design,
- Developing open, closely following technological developments,
- Quality and environmental awareness have formed,
- Professional and ethical awareness has been formed, sensitive to social and social developments,
- It is committed to teamwork, self-confident, leadership skills, and successful engineers in communication.
Those who finish this program take the title of "Material Engineer". The Material Engineers make the necessary plans for the production of any material and supervise its implementation. In addition, as a member of the engineering design group, he designs materials for special purposes as well as tasks such as selecting materials, proposing and controlling usage.
Material engineers are able to work in public or private sector establishments operating in the following industrial sectors, as well as having the opportunity to set up their own businesses.
- Iron-Steel and Casting Industry
- Non-ferrous metal development, manufacturing industry and research companies
- Traditional ceramics, glass, thermal ceramics industry and research companies
- Industries and organizations engaged in the design and production of high-tech ceramics
- Defense Industry
- Machine manufacturing industry
- Automotive and automotive subsidiary
- Materials development, production, testing and inspection units in the aerospace industry
- Polymer: traditional polymer industry, advanced technology functional polymer production and design,
- Welding materials production industry
- Metal forming and processing industry
- Surface treatment and coating industry
- Electrical and electronic equipment development and production organizations
- Industry and units related to magnetic, photonic, plasmonic material design and production
- Tissue engineering, where biomedical production and design are involved in biomedical fields
- Solid fuel cells - in research and production facilities related to battery production, design, material selection
- In the quality control units which perform the control process with the destructive and non-destructive techniques
- Purchasing related to material supply selection